A friend of mine sent this to me. Credit for this recipe goes to Maya … she’s a healthy cooking fanatic as well. This one may seem like it will take you a lot of time to prepare. In reality, it’s only about 10-15 minutes, then the over takes over for you ;o)
This is one healthy dish that is delicious enough to serve to a dinner party or large family!
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
3 TBSP Pine Nuts
3 TBSP Pecans, chopped
3 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
Dash of Sea Salt
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Bell Peppers, chopped
2 Eggplants, chopped
2 C Roasted Chicken, cubed (you can use a roasted chicken from the deli section of your grocery store)
1 (28oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
3 TBSP Basil, fresh/chopped or dried
1/4 C White Wine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole dish with 1/2 TBSP coconut oil.
- In a small skillet, place 1/2 TBSP Coconut Oil over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and pecans. Saute until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and pulse in a food processor with the nutritional yeast and dash of salt. Set the nut mixture aside.
In a large skillet, place the EVOO over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and eggplant and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Mix in the chicken, tomatoes, basil and wine. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
Spread the chicken and veggie mixture into the prepared casserole pan. Evenly sprinkle the nut mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
**You can also enjoy cooking this in a crockpot. Mix everything together, and rather than putting this into an oven, put the ingredients into your crockpot. Top with nuts mixture and cook on either low for 6 hours, or high for 4 hours. If you work a long day, this is a delightful treat when you get home from work! I can’t even describe how yummy your house smells!**
Serves 8 ~ Calories per serving: 223