Ok, wanna hear a great alternative to enchiladas? Healthy and something you can enjoy on a regular basis…. this is definitely a great recipe to try. Who wouldn’t love a recipe that tastes like a treat meal, but is just a healthier way to enjoy a delicious Mexican dish 🙂
For the Sauce:
2 C Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
1/4 C Tomato Paste
1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
2 TBSP EVOO
2 tsp Cumin
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1 Jalapeno or Serrano Pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper
For the Enchiladas:
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 C Corn
6 oz. Spinach
6 Green Onions, sliced
1/3 C Cilantro, chopped
2 tsp Cumin
3 C Shredded 3-Cheese blend
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Fish, cooked and shredded, or Shrimp (leftovers are excellent for this)
8 whole wheat tortillas
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tomato past, flour, cumin, garlic, onion powder, chili powder and peppers.
- Whisk mixture while bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Saute the spinach in a skillet over medium heat until slightly wilted.
- In a large bowl combine beans, 2 C cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, cumin and cilantro. Add the chicken if you choose to include it.
- Pour a small amount of sauce to coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with the enchilada mixture.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, and bake for 20 minutes.