TOTALLY My FAV of all time! There’s no other way to say this, but exactly that. While working in Silver Spring at the Federal contractor’s offices I found out that a friend owned the local Italian deli around the corner. He and his mother made my very first Caprese Sandwich! Her freshly made mozzarella balls, and homemade Italian vinaigrette made all the difference in the world! It was also how she placed these ingredients.
Typically you find recipes ask you to drizzle a balsamic dressing over the tomatoes and cheese. I follow her philosophy with this one. She drizzled the dressing over each piece of bread and placed the ingredients between the two slices. Definitely makes a huge difference in how the flavors mix in your mouth. Talk about flavor explosion!
1 Whole Wheat/Grain French Roll
1 Roma Tomatoes, sliced
1/2 Mozzarella Ball, sliced
2 TBSP Italian Salad Dressing
2-3 Basil Leaves
- Drizzle the inside of both rolls with 1 TBSP of salad dressing each.
- Top one slice of bread with tomatoes, the other with mozzarella slices.
- Place the basil on top of either slice of bread so that it is the middle ingredient.
- Be sure to sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the tomato slices, if you desire.
- Put the two slices and all ingredients together