One of my Gems gave me a BBQ Crockpot that she had been given as a gift at her wedding. She wasn’t sure what to do with it, so I’m playing with it a bit to give her some ideas. Here’s one. A quick easy set up for some roasted chicken and veggies. One idea I came up with after was to mash the potatoes and carrots together – what a delicious combo that would have made — YUM!
For now, I let it cook in chicken juices, seasonings and created an absolutely delicious treat that gave me meals for a whole week! I used some of the leftovers in salads, the rest in different veggie and carb combos. This is definitely a recipe I will reuse over and over again – it just makes SOOOO much for so little. For those extreme health fanatics out there, I do know I could have chosen organic chicken, or perhaps chicken breasts. However, my goal here is to show you what you can do on a very strict budget – hence the thigh/leg combo that I chose. It’s amazing what you can do with only a few dollars. Especially, once you figure it out. I hope this makes it a little easier for you all.
Thigh/Leg Quarters Combo – $4.99
Chicken Broth – $1.29 (in fridge already)
Sweet Potatoes – $2.00
Carrots – $1.19
Drew’s Lemon Goddess Salad Dressing – $2.99 (half used already)
TOTAL – $12.46 – 8 servings = $1.55 per serving
1 to 2 lb. package of Chicken
2 Sweet Potatoes
1 Small Bag Sliced Carrots
2 TBSP Savory Spice Shop‘s Fried Chicken Seasoning
2 TBSP Drew’s Lemon Goddess Salad Dressing
1/2 C Chicken Broth
1. Place sweet potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the roaster, regular Crockpot or BBQ Crockpot.
2. Place rack (if there is one) above veggies, and place chicken on it.
3. Pour chicken broth then dressing over entire chicken. This will drip down and give the veggies the liquid needed to steam.
4. Sprinkle with Savory Spice Shop’s Fried Chicken Seasoning.
5. Bake 450 degrees for 45 minutes; or bake in crockpot for 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low.