This recipe is one I’ve tucked away for safe keeping. It’s the perfect date recipe, or for a night when you want to enjoy a restaurant quality meal without going out of the house. Easy, delicious, and packed full of iron and other necessary nutrients. It is hard to resist the mushroom sauce that tops these steaks — even for someone like me who doesn’t like mushrooms.
Thin Steaks – $3.78
Mushrooms – $1.99
Onion – $0.65
Beef Broth – $1.00
TOTAL: $7.42 – 4 servings: $1.85 per serving
1 lb. Thinly Sliced Steaks or your favorite red meat or tuna or white fish cuts
2 TBSP EVOO
3 cloves Garlic
1 lb. Button or Monterrey Mushrooms sliced
1/4 C Beef or Vegetable Broth
1/4 C Red Wine or Red Wine Vinegar
2 TBSP Mustard
1 TSP Corn
1. Heat skillet on medium-high heat, and add EVOO.
2. Stir fry onions and garlic for at least 3 minutes, until onions are carmelized. Add mushrooms.
3. Set veggies to the side, and use the same pan to make sauce.
4. Add broth, mustard, Worcester sauce, wine/wine vinegar and cornstarch and stir constantly to break up the cornstarch and mix thoroughly. Add veggies and mix together thoroughly. Let simmer until sauce thickens. Set aside.
4. Sear steak or fish until cooked to your liking. 3 minutes per side for medium rare ahi or red meat steaks.
5. When serving, top steaks with mushroom sauce.
Calories: 251.6 (not too shabby, eh?)