For an alternative to a traditional family favorite: Tacos! This recipe is packed full of protein, some omega nutrients and tons of flavor. Top it with whatever you normally put on your tacos and enjoy.
Ground Chicken (you can use turkey too) – $3.49
Sazon Seasoning – $1.59
Low Fat Shredded Cheese – $2.00 (on sale)
Barillla Protein Plus Penne pasta – $2.29
Salsa – $2.00
TOTAL: $11.37 – serves 5 = $2.75 per serving
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
1 packet Sazon Seasoning
1 box Barilla Protein Plus Penne Pasta
1/4 – 1/2 C Salsa (for topping)
1/2 C Low-Fat Shredded Cheese (for topping)
Veggies for toppings
Sour Cream for toppings
1. Heat a skillet and brown the chicken or turkey.
2. Cook pasta according to directions on the box
3. As soon as the chicken or turkey is halfway to being done add the Sazon. Also include 1 tsp of each garlic, onion or cumin if you’d like a bit more flavoring.
4. When finished cooking drain excess liquid.
5. Top plate with 1/2 C drained pasta per serving, then chicken/turkey, then cheese. Let sit for 2-5 minutes for the cheese to melt. Add any additional toppings you’d like.
Calories: 285 (with lettuce, tomato, and avocado)