I don’t know how many times I can say it, this is my FAVORITE breakfast! It has amazing flavor, and is the perfect breakfast-in-bed treat for your Mom, Dad, spouse or whomever you are making breakfast for. Delicious, easy to make, and even easier to eat. Plus, it takes only 5 minutes to prepare!
Free Range Eggs – $2.19 (for a dozen on sale)
Salsa Verde $2.09 (12 oz. bottle)
Black Beans $0.69 for 1 can
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) – $7.50 (had this in my pantry – it takes me a good 4 months to go through a bottle of this size)
Vine Ripened Tomato – $0.64 ($3.19 per pound on sale – I only bought 1)
Total to buy new: $13.11. You can make 6 servings of this dish with all these ingredients; which means that the dish itself costs $2.19 each. I believe that is how much just the egg sandwich from certain fast food restaurants cost. This is a fabulous alternative to running through a drive-thru. Even if the restaurant is round the corner, it takes less time to make this meal as it does to go pick up breakfast (just a little something to think about).
2 Free Range Eggs
1/4 C Black Beans, cooked
2 TBSP EVOO*
2-4 TBSP Salsa Verde
Optional veggie toppings: tomatoes, avocado, peppers, onions (whatever else you’d like – add 10 calories per veggie topping you add)
1. Heat up your pan, add EVOO and prepare your eggs in whatever fashion you like: scrambled, fried, or sunny side up.
2. Add black beans to plate, and heat up them up just slightly. The eggs will add heat to them, so just make sure they aren’t cold when you put them on your plate.
3. Once eggs are finished place them on top of the your black beans.
4. Add your choice of veggies.
5. Top with salsa verde.
Calories: 377.5 (with 2 veggie choices); MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA): 21.8 g! Protein 9.9 g
* You can use spray olive oil to decrease the amount of calories for this meal. If you do so, add avocado or another form of MUFA’s.